On Saturday the Homer Chamber of Commerce announced the new dates for its new-look halibut tournament, which in the past has been a summer-long event but will now cover just two days. Here are some more details for the July 2-3 scheduled event:
• Date: Thursday – Friday, July 2-3
• Location: Homer Harbor by the Deep Water Dock
• Registration: $100 for both days
o Youth prize included for registration price (Largest Halibut by under 16 participant)
o 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners share in cash prizes
o Thursday –First Day Biggest Fish Prize $1000
• Additional Categories (These Side Tournaments have a separate registration fee)
o Salmon – Angler – $75
o Rockfish – Angler – $50
o Grand Slam – Boat – $250 (Heaviest combination of a Salmon, a Halibut and a Rockfish weighed in PER BOAT. Cumulative weight of all three fish weighed over both days will determine winner. All boat Anglers must be registered for tournament to enter this category. Pays 50% of Sub-Category Pool)
o Lefty – Angler – $100 – $2,500 Prize
o Random generated weight Halibut – Angler – $100
• The weigh-in area will be at the end of the Deep Water Dock by the Cruise Ship Pier.
The Following Public Elements Will Be Planned According to Updated State Mandates. These May Not Be Allowed To Take Place:
• Beer Garden and Food Trucks for both Thursday and Friday in the Chip Pad area of the Homer Harbor
• Music Stage/Award Stage will be set up in the Chip Pad area.
Registration Website: www.homerhalibuttournament.com Online registration starts May 18.
Event information can be found on the Homer Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Center website www.homeralaska.org
Registration can also be done at the Homer Chamber of Commerce office during business hours, 201 Sterling Highway, Homer AK 99603, 907-235-7740.