Atz Lee Kilcher Children On Reality Show

By Chris Cocoles

alaska_cover

Our Alaska Sporting Journal cover story is on the popular Discovery Channel reality show, Alaska: The Last Frontier. Correspondent Luke Kelly, who just happens to be an avid watcher of the show that chronicles the homesteading Kilcher family of Homer, Alaska, submitted a series of questions that were answered by Atz Lee Kilcher, son of the family’s current patriarch, Atz Kilcher, whose father Yule Kilcher immigrated to the U.S. from Switzerland and settled on Alaska with the intention of living a simple life away from bright lights and big (or even little) cities.  Atz Lee’s answers were rather short, but they seemed adequate enough to capture what the Kilchers are all about. Here are a couple of Atz Lee’s responses to Luke, and a few of the Discovery Channel photos we didn’t have room for in the story:

Luke Kelly When Yule Kilcher came to Alaska in 1936, he had a vision of the self-sufficient lifestyle that he wanted his children and grandchildren to live. How does that vision affect you today? Do you feel like you’ve lived up to it?

Atz Lee Kilcher His original vision was of a large scope. Thanks to my grandparents’ hard work, I am able to carry on the vision as well as pass it down to my kids, the fourth generation of Alaskan homesteaders.

LK Is all of the action that appears on screen real, or do you ever have situations that are presented to you?

ALK I am proud to say it is a non-scripted show! Some of the stuff they capture is by the pure luck of being around with a camera rolling.

LK What would you like viewers to take away from your show?

ALK That regardless of where you live, you can do your own version of subsistence living; whether it’s growing herbs in a skyscraper window or catching a trout in a nearby pond instead of buying one.

The Kilchers are greeted with gorgeous settings like this every day. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
Another of the Kilcher brothers, Eivin. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
Another of the Kilcher brothers, Eivin. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
A group gathering on a beaiutiful Alaska day. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
A group gathering on a beautiful Alaska day. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
The Kilchers are their DIY finest. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)
The Kilchers at their DIY finest. (THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL)

16 thoughts on “Atz Lee Kilcher Children On Reality Show”

1. I love this show and I am glad it is not scripted. From what I have heard other so called reality shows are highly scripted, and sometimes are faked situations (a repo show I happened to see the last episode where they successfully repo a boat from armed drug dealers comes to mind – faked IMO). Some shows do ask for conflicts and the characters sort of fall into the roll where the conflict comes naturally a little too well. From what staff told me, Atz Lee came into our store, I believe getting some supplies to fish the Russian River (we are right nearby), and the staff was excited to see him in person. This will be our third season owning Gwin’s Lodge in Cooper Landing and it has been a complete drama and a huge task getting it improved and restored. Drop by if you are out on the Kenai, Milepost 52; Great Food since 1952.

2. I love this show. I just wish that we could look up information that you have posted. It also says that the information if blocked. That makes it hard, as our company will not allow us to pull it up. Love the show and I hope you will have more shows on TV.

3. Joanne…. Thanks for posting. I just included a small sample of the story that ran in our January issue of Alaska Sporting Journal. Contact our Lois Sanborn at 206-382-9220 if you wanted to inquire about purchasing that issue. Our website also offers a digital subscription too.

4. I love hearing from you. I just wish we could read about you more online. Everything is so high tech athat lot of us do not have the ability to pull off so many things online. Please put more out there. I love this show.

5. I like to watch this show because of all the outdoor stuff they do like hunting and fishing. But in this show the actors exaggerate WAAAY too much. They would make the show much better if they didnt.

6. I hope that they carry the show for a couple more years at least. It would be fun to see how everyone is doing and see also how much the baby has grown. My husband has two grandsons still living in Palmer, AK. His two son-in-laws went up to AK to work on the pipelines. I went up to Anchorage and stayed for a couple of weeks in the summertime, it was nice but I don’t think I would like it in the winter. Please leave more replys so we can keep know what is happening up there in the North West/

• Hey Joanne,

We’ve been doing some Alaska reality shows in the last few issues. I really enjoyed writing our March issue on the Nat Geo show, Life Below Zero. I talked to some very interesting folks who brave the Alaskan winter. But thanks for your comments.

• The show is my favorite reality show and it’s totally entertaining and makes me want to go live off the land somewhere not quite as cold as there though, ha. Keep up the good work, and who cares about an Emmy it’s so trivial in whole scheme of things, their lives are so much more than some award. I hate it that our society is reduced down to fame and awards as being the most important things…sorry for the soap box. Love the Show!

7. I do hope that the show is carried on for a couple more years at least. It would be nice to see how everyone is doing and see the new baby and how much he is growing. I do love this show. My husbands two grandsons live in Palmer, and his two son-in-laws work on the pipe line. I hear they are having trouble up there around the pipe line. Is that true? Keep posting information so they we can keep up on the lastest news.

8. Who are Atz Lee and Jane’s children? Why are they not ever
    on the show? Seems odd that they have a family dinner and
    the kids aren’t there????

• Yes, the show has a Director, and yes, there are ‘outakes’ that are injected in later episodes…. RE-takes is what they really were.
      The original words weren’t good or exciting enough, so Director decides to make the speaker/action different.
      The difficult thing is, because Discovery Channel is such a smarmy corp nowdays, (raking in billions off their horrid reality shows), the very fact that some of the acting is ‘scripted’ makes the Kilcher’s chance at winning an Emmy difficult.
      A Reality Show (puke) has to be UN-scripted to even qualify. – There’s the rub, as the Bard wrote.
      I almost didn’t have anything to do with it because of the ‘Reality Show’ term.

As for the idiot female asking why Jane’s kids aren’t on an internationally-watched TV screen, she must either be brain dead or never had kids of her own.

Maybe she’s the kind that stays out all weekend, leaving her hungry Rottweiler to watch the infant.

• Jan, tell me you were joking.

Do you leave your hungry Rottweiler to babysit your infant?

I honestly cannot fathom why you asked such a moronic question about Jane’s kids.

I hope the judge and jury let this comment through……. and you read it.

• What feels good about being so rude. I was actually searching to find out why we don’t see the kids. We see Finley and I think he has wonderful parents. We see Otto and Charlotte’s son. You Nanette need to get a life!

9. Nanette,
    Was the rudeness really necessary ? Jane and Atz Lees children Etienne and Piper have been on the show in early seasons. They are now young teens and it could be a parental choice to not have them featured on the show or the kids could have chosen themselves to not appear ….. Jan’s question was a legitamate one completely understandable, your reply was rude and derogatory names and comments show zero class…. get over yourself

• It was rude…but I get that they don’t want to be followed by cameras and every move is filmed. I didn’t even know they had kids so good job keeping them out of the limelight.